Welcome to the Lonely Arts Club!
Let's be honest, at times writing can be a lonely business.
I'm currently working on a novel, The Secret to Being Tiresome. People know I'm in process of writing because I become all wild eyed. I suddenly dash off to scribble something down in the middle of a conversation and am virtually unreachable for long periods while I'm locked away with my computer, notebook and pot of strong coffee.
If this sounds like you - don't worry, you're not alone! That's why I have decided to publish this blog - which will not only include various musings on the writing process, but also hearty discussions with like-minded souls.
Do people think you are a serial killer?
If you're anything like me, writing - be it novel, screenplay or blogging - can be a strange and lonely land, full of dry eyes and cramping fingers, midnight musings and insane research that would make you seem like a serial killer if anyone read your search history without context.We need to talk!
We spend so much time alone in our heads creating worlds, it is always such a joy to chat with other writers and share stories, swap tips and generally moan about how awful/ wonderful it is to write.In the spirit of
Over the next few months we will hear from horror writers, new writers, bloggers, autobiographical writers and more to discuss their writing processes, inspirations and crucially WHY THEY WRITE.
"I knew that when I grew up I should be a writer..."
It's so damned famous it's hardly worth introducing, but for those who haven't read Orwells 'Why I Write' it's a great starting point for really defining our main motives for putting pen to paper (or finger to keyboard).He believed that every writer is driven by all of these, or at least most of them, every time they write.
They are:
Egoism:
Egosim, or egotism, exists in all of us. Even really nice guys. As Orwell says, "It is humbug to pretend this is not a motive, and a strong one."
Aesthetic enthusiasm:
Your perception of beauty in the external world, or, on the other hand, in words and their right arrangement. It is borne of a desire to share an experience which you feel is valuable and ought not to be missed.
I believe passion is a key part of this - being passionate about the world, about people or ideas drives this motive.
Goodreads is always a safe pair of hands if you are searching for something breathtakingly beautiful to read
Historical impulse:
A desire to see things as they are, to find out true facts and store them up for the use of posterity.
Here's a great list of 50 essential historical fiction books
Political purpose:
Orwell uses the word ‘political’ in the widest possible sense. Desire to push the world in a certain direction, to alter other peoples’ idea of the kind of society that they should strive after.
This dude gave the world Animal Farm and Nineteen Eighty-Four, so he knows his stuff.
He believed no book is genuinely free from political bias, and the opinion that art should have nothing to do with politics is itself a political attitude. Yeah Trump. Stick it.
What drives you?
So that's it for today. Thank you for taking a break from whatever writing project you've got bubbling away!Why not get in touch and let me know what drives you to write?





What drives me to write is the drive to write. It's like a weird circle, neither vicious nor virtuous. It's probably compulsive obsessive disorder, but I don't really care. All I know is I have a better day when I've written than if I haven't. : )
ReplyDeleteIt does feel almost like an illness doesn't it? And not in a bad way! Really excited to share your guest blog soon about being an Indie Author - thanks so much for taking part
DeleteWell, hello! Good to know that you're fighting the good fight out there somewhere, Ms. Rydings. I look forward to hearing more about your Tiresome book. I too am a writer. As in I write. No-one pays me for it or reads it, but I say it still counts.
ReplyDeleteIn terms of the loneliness, insanity, futility etc. issues, one of the best things I've done is join a writers' group. Not so much because I'm constantly receiving priceless feedback (there are twenty or so of us, and there's far more output than there are hours to read it) but because it's important to have the self-justifying validation - sorry - like-minded support of fellow travellers. I think it was Orwell again who said that writing is like a long bout with some painful illness. You've seen my writing - it's definitely the symptom of something lifelong and debilitating. It's important to have a survivors' group around you.
I have also started taking acting lessons again, so... You have been warned...
Good luck with this and with everything you put your pen to!
Ms Anderson! What an absolute pleasure to hear from you. I'm a long term admirer of your writing - it's definitely been a huge part of who you are since you were a wee slip of a thing. Do you remember our Blue Peter rip off 'Pink Bob' or our 'radio' play about Ace Cloudskimmer?...har har. I wonder why we didn't go into comedy? Joining a writers group is a great idea - it's really helpful to get that feedback and support. And back to acting too! The last thing I saw you in was a Dario Fo play (Accidental Death of an Anarchist...I think?).
DeleteAs a life-long writer, I'd absolutely love for you to write something for the blog - would you be interested?
It would be great to catch up properly.